Holiday Lamppost Decorating
Sunday, November 29, 2020
Sign-up opens on September 30, 2020
Due to the limited number of lampposts in the village and the large number of people placed on a wait-list in 2019 we will be assigning lampposts to Babylon Village residents first. If you are a non-resident of Babylon Village you will be placed on a wait list and we will contact you if we have availability. Residents of West Babylon who live in the Babylon Village School District will be considered Babylon Village residents for decorating purposes.
We will fill-up fast so please sign-up early.
Each year over 1,000 volunteers decorate the lampposts throughout Babylon Village.
The Babylon Beautification Society provides all of the decorations (tree roping, lights, red bows) and volunteers are required to provide their own ladder to decorate a lamppost.
Volunteers must sign-up in advance and will receive further instructions prior to the event.
Within a few hours Babylon Village is transformed into a holiday wonderland for all to enjoy.
Decorating will take place on Sunday, November 29, 2020 from 10:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m
There is no cost to decorate a lamppost
All materials are provided, you just need to bring a ladder
Most volunteers decorate between 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Note: it takes approximately 30 minutes to decorate one lamppost
This event occurs as planned, rain or shine
Advance Sign-up is Required – opens September 30, 2020
Advance sign-up is required each year even if you signed-up and decorated a lamppost in a prior year.
Note: you must sign-up using the web form below. There are over 525 lampposts and we will fill-up fast. We assign lamppost locations based on sign-up date.
Not sure what’s involved? Click here to find out.
Please read carefully
1. Sign-up using the form below. We will not accept any requests via email.
2. Due to the limited number of lampposts in the village and the large number of people placed on a wait-list in prior years we will be assigning lampposts to Babylon Village residents first.
3. If you are a non-resident of Babylon Village you will be placed on a wait list and we will contact you if we have availability.
4. Residents of West Babylon who live in the Babylon Village School District will be considered Babylon Village residents for decorating purposes.
5. After submitting your request you will receive an automated email confirming your online submission. If you don’t get the email confirmation your submission was not received so either try again or contact us immediately via email. We are not responsible for submissions not received. Be sure to check your spam/junk folders and add our email address (email@example.com) to your safe-sender list to ensure you receive all of our communications.
6. Each person/family will be allocated only one lamppost. Requests for more than one lamppost will not be granted.
7. If you have extended family members or a group of friends who want their own lamppost they must sign-up separately. Our automated system requires a different name and email address for each request.
8. If you wish to decorate in a specific area please note it. Include the exact location – the street name, the side of street and where it’s located (i.e. Deer Park Avenue, west side, in front The Villager). Please include the nearest cross street or street address if known. Please do not state “same as last year” as we don’t reference prior year lists. Please also list a second request in case we can’t accommodate your first.
9. If you wish to decorate with other families/friends we strongly recommend that you all sign-up at the exact same time and request the same location, noting that you want to be together.
10. We assign lampposts based on the date submissions are received and the location requested, not by others you wish to be near or where you decorated in the past. We do not cross reference location requests with requests to decorate with others.
11. Those volunteers who are not wait-listed will be emailed in early November. At that time you must confirm your participation or you won’t be assigned a lamppost. You will also be notified of your meeting time and location and the section you’re assigned. You will not be notified of the exact lamppost until you pick-up your materials from your captain.
12. IMPORTANT: we try to accommodate all requests but we can’t guarantee all will be granted. Some volunteers will not get the location requested, it is logistically impossible.
13. If you are not happy with your assigned location or didn’t get assigned with other friends and family, please opt-out and let someone else decorate. Do not contact us asking to be moved, we will not accommodate your request.
14. Volunteers may only decorate lampposts on Sunday, November 29, 2020, from 10:30 am to 4:00 pm. We’d like to accommodate as many people as we can so we ask that you finish decorating by 1 p.m. Please do not ask to pick-up your materials earlier than 10:30 am.
15. Volunteers are NOT permitted to add decorations to lampposts. We are striving for a uniform, consistent appearance so please don’t add anything to the lamppost that isn’t provided to you by your captain. If anything is added it will be removed and you won’t be permitted to participate again.
16. This event occurs rain or shine.
We recognize the importance of family traditions and do our best to accommodate all requests but we can’t grant them all. Please remember this event is about community and volunteerism, not the location of a lamppost.
We greatly appreciate your advance cooperation and kindness.
Thank you for volunteering.
The Babylon Beautification Society is a non-profit organization founded in 1971. Our mission is to support projects and initiatives that contribute to the beauty and history of Babylon Village. We work closely with local government and community leaders, as well as hundreds of volunteers to complete our mission. All donations received and funds raised go toward our mission.
Your membership contributions and donations help fund projects like these. Annual membership is open to both individuals/families as well as merchants/firms located both in and outside of Babylon Village. To make a donation or become a member/renew your membership, click here.
Oops! We could not locate your form.‘